Wednesday, January 28, 2015

White Chicken Chili Recipe



I’m ashamed to say that 5 years ago, I didn’t even know that there was a such thing as white chili. I knew there was spice level variants on tradition red bean and meat chili but that is about it. Now-a-days, it’s quite rare for me to make a pot of anything but!

Back in Fairmont, WV, at our most favorite establishment ever to exist (Book ‘n Bean on Main street, which sadly has since closed!), when fall was in full swing, everyone knew it meant the annual Chili Cook Off was just around the corner.

So I remember that year, 5 years ago, when Lorie and Michael, the owners of the coffee shop, spent the day cooking a chicken rotisserie style over a bonfire and created something that seriously changed my life.

White Chicken Chili. Thankfully, she was all too happy to pass on the recipe.

This is something that I have since, greedily, kept all to myself, bringing to potlucks and serving company whenever the opportunity arose. However, I have decided to lay it all out and share the wisdom so you can all have this mouthwatering dish as often as possible!

Here is what I used in THIS batch (yes.. I change it up a bit sometimes)

White Chicken Chili

Ingredients:
3-4 Boneless Skinless Chicken breasts
1 can of cream of chicken
1 can of cream of celery
1 can of cream of chicken and mushroom
¼ cup chopped jalapenos (or to taste)
2 cans of Cannelloni beans
2 cans Rotel tomatoes (drained)
1 package of white chicken chili seasoning mix
1 block of cream cheese, softened.

Put the chicken in a pan with enough water to cover it about half way. Let it simmer, until it is cooked through, turning as needed.  Most of the liquid will evaporate - just don't let the pan dry out. Once it cools down, shred the chicken up. You can shred with a fork, but about halfway through, I almost always end up just picking it apart with my fingers. It seems more efficient. I like to do this step before adding anything else to the crock pot, because I can visually see how much there is and gauge if it is enough.

Once all the chicken is shredded, you can add everything except the cream cheese. Do not drain the beans, but DO drain the tomatoes (or it will turn it a pink color) Also, add about half a cream of can filled with water. Stir and Cover.

Since you have cooked the chicken, you can set the temp depending on your time schedule. If you have many hours, set on low. If dinner is in within 2-3 hours, I’d set on high. The longer it sits, the better the taste.

Once it's well heated, drop in the cream cheese and mix well. If you put it in before it is prepared to melt, you risk it not mixing and possibly curdling.

At this point it is ready to eat, or can sit and simmer flavors together as long as you need.

Best enjoyed with homemade beer bread!!

Tips/Tricks:
When shopping for ingredients I usually tell myself  “cream of WHAT THE HECK ever.” I think one should always be chicken. My favorite was cream of onion, but I haven’t seen it in years, so I now do the celery.

The cans could be any white beans.

The best cream cheese is Philadelphia Cooking cream cheese - Santa Fe blend. My store stopped carrying it.. If you find it, send me a case!! It adds a nice spice, and can be added at the beginning with everything else.

This was the first time using Rotel. My normal is one can of diced, no salt added tomatoes. But this worked out well and added an extra kick!

Meet Jackie 
http://rchreviews.blogspot.com/p/hops.html

and


23 comments:

  1. This is my all time favorite chili!! Love this!! I would love for you to stop by again and share your stuff at my Link Party...it's still open!! http://www.cookinandcraftin.com/my-2-favorite-things-on-thursday-link-party-4/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still yet to try chicken chilli but I think I will have to try this one! So i pinned it for later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tasty. Thanks for linking up to #brilliantblogposts x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from Sunday's Best. It's a small world, I'm in Martinsburg, WV. Fairmont was a big rival in sports and many from the area went to college there. I've heard of White Chicken Chili, but I've never made a pot. This recipe looks delicious and will make a nice change during the winter months. Thanks for sharing. Hope you will link up again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make this, but I think my recipe is a bit different. We love it for a change. Pinning and will give your version a try. Thanks for sharing it with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. This chili will have wonderful flavor! Thanks so much for sharing your post with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week and come back to see us real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always looking for a new a different recipe and your White Chicken Chili looks yummy. I will be trying it soon. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am making this today too with a slightly different recipe! Im very excited about it! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds good! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious! Don't worry, I hadn't heard of white chili either! :) But your recipe looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing this week on the Art of Home-Making Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my favorite kind of chili!! Hope you stop by and share your stuff on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday Link Party !! It is still going on! I would love to have you!http://www.cookinandcraftin.com/my-2-favorite-things-on-thursday-link-party-5/


    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so darn good especially since my accuweather is saying it's 6 out. It drives me insane that I fall in love with some ingredient and before you know it the stores stop carrying it. It happens to me so much! I like the addition of cream cheese and jalapeno. It sounds look a great chili to me! Thanks for bringing it to the Sunday's Recipe Wrap-up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks delicious. I'm a big fan of chicken chili. Thanks for linking up to Funtastic Friday. Hope you join us again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for submitting to Motivation Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I featured you today on Blissful and Domestic! Check it out! :)

    http://www.blissfulanddomesticrecipes.com/2015/02/20-comforting-winter-soups.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a simple recipe and this sounds so tasty! As it is summer time here, this is something I would definitely cook in the warmer months. Pinning for future reference! Thanks for linking up at Mum-bo Monday {Kelly}

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great recipe! Love it! Pinned and tweeted. We love to party with you, so I hope to see you tonight at 7 pm. That would be so awesome.
    Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for sharing at Talented Tuesdays! This sounds yummy - I'm always looking for new recipes that I think my family will enjoy. We love a little spice, so the Ro-tel and Santa Fe cream cheese sounds perfect for us! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What lovely comfort food! Your White Chicken Chili looks so good! Thank you for sharing it with us at the Hearth and Soul hop. Hope to 'see' you again this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds so yummy! I would probably leave out the jalapenos or just add a tiny touch because I'm such a wimp when it comes to hot stuff. I'll bet it would be just as good too! Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Blessings, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've actually never heard of White Chilli, but it sounds lovely! I might have to look into trying this!


    Thanks for contributing to The Sunday Brunch Magazine!

    All the best,

    Eliza.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cooking this today for the first time! I am so excited. It smells heavenly!

    ReplyDelete